Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Posted by Melissa Costa | File under : ,

Part II – Ikebukuro CYBER [SONIC DRIVE], 30-7-2011 

Line-up:               Ronove / S.Q.F / A / Anli Pollicino


A little over two weeks later, I was back at CYBER. This time all the things such as finding my way there from the station, the purchasing of my ticket and the entering of the venue all went a lot smoother than the first time. I even felt more at ease while watching the first bands by myself, since I was by now used to enjoying lives on my own. This time however, a cute Japanese girl suddenly approached me during a break and struck up a conversation. The girl, named Yuki, appeared rather shy and overly polite but soon we were getting along, and it turned out she was also there for A. So this time, I could actually enjoy a live together with someone, as we went to stand on the second row before the stage as A was about to play. 

This time we stood at Rookie Fiddler’s side, and as soon as the lights dimmed again and the woman’s voice began her tale, I felt a lot more excited. After the first live I had finally started giving the rest of their music a listen on the internet, and decided this band indeed had a lot of potential. Plus, the members were kind and their lives were great, so when the curtains parted and again revealed the figures of Toshi, Mucho, the drummer and Rookie Fiddler right before me, I screamed with the crowd to welcome them, feeling Yuki bounce at my side with excitement. Then Nimo again made his spectacular entry and all of us cheered for them as the drums tapped off and after a powerful shout from Nimo, Rookie Fiddler let his violin sing the graceful intro of Yoake no Anthem.

30-7 Setlist (Taken from Toshi’s blog) 

1 夜明けのアンセム
2 バニラスカイ
3 MASQUERADE
4 SAKURA
5 花葬
6 カナリア
7 Viva la Casta
8 NUDE

We all raised our fists and our voices as Nimo told us to shout, looking out into the hall with a dazzling smile. Yuki and I exchanged smiles as we all joined voices as one with the beat of the drums, seeing Toshi and Mucho also looking into the crowd with a satisfied grin as Mucho’s guitar cried the last notes of the intro before Nimo began to sing.

I still didn’t know all the songs by heart but I was able to recognize them better now, able to anticipate a little which variations in the rhythm would ensue headbanging or other routines. Or, I just went along with what the crowd did. This time, I was positively surprised however when suddenly Yuki joined hands with me, after which the other girl on my side did too and all the rows stepped side to side together as one, creating a wonderful feeling of unity. I looked up straight into Rookie Fiddler’s grinning face as he  swayed his hips side to side on the rhythm, before bringing his violin back in position for the chorus and we all returned to throwing our fists into the air. The whole circle repeated itself before we’d all answer Nimo’s: “Can you hear my voice? Can you feel my heart?” with a loud: “Yeah!” Rookie practically danced all over his half of the stage as he seemed to lose himself in his play, finishing up the last Celtic outro before raising his fiddle stick to the ceiling, and all of our voices filled the hall again, topping only when immediately the intro-music of Vanilla Sky commenced from the speakers.

Again, all eyes were on Rookie Fiddler as the spotlights lit him while playing the high-pitched intro, before Mucho and Toshi joined in and everyone began to jump. All members would also jump on the small stage while I wondered if Nimo and especially Rookie weren’t actually part kangaroo. The silver-haired fiddler seemed to have no problem spinning a dozen crazy laps before easily returning to his play, not missing a single note. When Nimo sang, it was as if he was telling a story to us, his facial expressions and gestures all expressing his own infatuation with the music as well as with everyone watching. Again we joined hands at a certain point and stepped together as one, mirroring the beautiful smiles of the members before we all jumped during the chorus again. This time Toshi took his moment doing a bass-solo, receiving the cheers from the crowd. Yuki next to me seemed to be brimming with happiness as we together made a heart for Toshi, who gave us a sweet smile back before he retreated to his half of the stage and gave the spotlight to Rookie for his solo. Nimo emitted a low grunt and everyone headbanged before the silence of the bridge made Nimo’s vocal-solo come out again perfectly. One last time we jumped and waved our hands to the chorus, truly bringing out our energy, before we were allowed a moment to breathe as silence dipped in before Mucho Gracias began playing a flamenco-like intro on acoustic guitar.

The song MASQUERADE already became one of my favorites from this moment. Not only sounded the intro very appealing and exotic, after this a heavy beat and riff joined with Rookie’s violin and everyone began to do the ‘dive’, the powerful headbanging movement where everyone throws themselves forward at the same time.  This time, Yuki again surprised me by suddenly laying her small hand around my waist so we could headbang and support each other meanwhile, a rather familiar gesture I had not expected from the timid girl. Still, after that first time we would repeat it every time there was a new headbang-sequence. Nimo enthusiastically joined the movement before he began singing to the Spanish-like tune, his smile sounding through in his voice. At the chorus he raised his hand and made a spinning-movement which everyone copied, while I couldn’t resist simply dancing and moving my body to the appealing tunes. This was a song which allowed that freedom. Yuki and I laughed together as we continued dancing while others had stopped, letting the rhythm lead us before we began to spin again at the second chorus. A sudden heavy bridge with Rookie’s choir-vocals ensued more headbanging  before Nimo sang the chorus to the acoustic guitar, spinning a few laps himself as the chorus repeated before we all dove forward towards the end of the song, Mucho’s guitar playing the last exotic notes.

The hall rang with screams and cheers and the band received them thankfully before they waited for us to become silent again. Then, Nimo began singing the beautiful ballad SAKURA. A rather magical moment, since everyone was completely silent as Nimo’s pure vocals and Rookie’s sensitive violin-notes sounded through the hall. Both men seemed completely emerged in the beautiful song and it gave me goose-bumps at certain points. This song once again showed this band had a tremendous amount of talent stored beneath their playful exterior.

After SAKURA they played a song I had not heard before and sadly can’t remember even now, before all the energy and screams flowed back when they started the organ-intro of Kanaria, and the craziest headbanging so far ensued. Again Yuki and I would hold on to eachother as this song completely brought out everyone’s energy again. Rookie Fiddler looked as if he had been behaving for long enough now and while he played he would play with the crowd, making funny faces and waving his fiddle stick around as he also switched sides with Toshi. Every time Toshi would come near to us Yuki would show him her affection and I joined her, knowing the bassist showed a very kind personality both on stage and off. Toshi seemed very pleased with the attention and he and Nimo would often compete for the center of the stage, though Nimo would win most of the time, if it wasn’t for Rookie stealing his place a few times as well. The entire song kept our energy flowing with all the jumping and headbanging it contained, especially towards the end, and I loved the feeling of losing my boundaries through the music, even while that meant I was becoming more exhausted by the end. 

I was positively surprised by the length of A’s set though, since before they had only played four songs, and now it seemed they were not finished yet since Nimo started to talk to the crowd again, asking if everyone was having a good time. Toshi would also be persuaded to say a few words, to which Yuki would respond the loudest. It seemed the small girl was becoming less timid by the second.

And again, it seemed impossible for Rookie to merely behave himself while Nimo spoke to the crowd. This time, he had obtained a loose pluck of white hair from either his fiddle or his bow, and seemed completely absorbed as he started playing with it. The other fans and myself included giggled as he first brought the hair up to compare it to his own wig, before making a contemplative face and actually pulled out the waistband of his leather shorts to try and compare it to some other hair apparently… Of course, this was perfect timing for Nimo to notice him, who reacted with a sudden “OY!!” in the middle of his sentence, causing Rookie to jump and look utterly shocked. As Nimo scolded him for being childish and a pervert, Rookie pretended to be so ashamed he first tried to hide behind Nimo before taking his fiddle and disappearing completely behind one of the big amps. As the fans and Toshi laughed it out, Nimo just waited with his hands in his sides until Rookie finally reappeared, carrying the guiltiest yet naughtiest face. Nimo only rolled his eyes before they kicked off once again with Viva La Casta!

I quite liked the jazzy feel of this song, which also invited you to move your body and swing to the rhythm. After the intro everyone would snap their fingers together, creating a lively beat over Nimo’s enthusiastic vocals as he watched us all move to the song. Meanwhile, Rookie still seemed to have too much energy left, or maybe he wanted to ‘make up’ to Nimo for his past disobedience, or annoy him just a little more. Anyway, soon even Nimo could no longer ignore his extravagant band-member for suddenly Rookie had stretched out both arms as a zombie and swayed right up to the vocalist, appearing to lock him in a hug but keeping his arms stretched out and attempting to plow right over him, all the while grinning sweetly. As laughter rang through the hall Nimo still tried to keep singing while trying to swat Rookie away from him, but obviously serious lives were not part of A’s repertoire. After that funny moment the attention was brought back to the entire band, and we could all enjoy the unity of Nimo’s vocals, Toshi’s bass, a guitar-solo by Mucho and Rookie’s quirky play again. When during the bridge Rookie suddenly switched to vocals it was rather surprising to me, but it has to be said he is quite skilled in that area too. During the last chorus we all snapped our fingers again before the last headbang-sequence drained another portion of our energy, but we still had enough left for their final song, the one they seemed to like to end with: NUDE.

The charismatic intro by Rookie was followed by another energetic headbang-sequence in which everybody joined, no longer caring about ruined hair or anything, only showing their affection to this band by completely losing oneself in the music. Nimo’s smile was still as dazzling as during the first song as he sang, jumping around in his charming pirate-clothes. Everyone jumped during the chorus and the members would interact more with the fans while they could. This time Mucho Gracias would claim the center for an elaborate guitar-solo, receiving all the deserved affection from the front row fans while I just couldn’t get over the fact it looked too awesome to see a Jack Sparrow look-a-like play guitar. Rookie would join Mucho’s side for his own last energetic violin-riffs before all ended with the last note, and we all screamed their names and cheered as they responded to us.

Nimo thanked us all in a loud, cheerful voice before putting away his microphone and turning to thank the fans closest to the stage like all members did. Yuki and I would make hearts and the ‘A’-sign with our joined hands, and Nimo would smile before making one back at us. Toshi did the same as it seemed that he knew Yuki from other shows, giving us both a high-five before slowly retreating to the back of the stage, still waving at everyone else. Rookie Fiddler was once again up for dangerous stuff; when Yuki and I made a heart for him, he actually poked his fiddle-stick through our fingers, soaring dangerously close over our heads. When we logically pulled out hands apart out of reflex, laughing none-the-less, he giggled and completed both our hearts with his own hand, also giving us a high-five before leaving to the other side of the stage to cause more mischief. Mucho Gracias again did the same act with his stuffed monkey and snake, after which the drummer was left on the stage to once again ‘sink’ into the seas while the curtains closed, the last shouts and cheers dying into echoes.

As the lights lit again Yuki and I still had enough energy left to share in some excited squealing before we went to get a drink to cool down. Like before, the hall would clear for a moment as people would just sit around on the floor, chatting to each other or looking at the merchandise in the back. I expected A to show up there like before, which they eventually did: again it was Nimo and Toshi who came to talk to their fans and sell their own merchandise. There was nothing new for me to buy, but they did have something new this time: a ‘guest-book’ with a leather cover in which the fans could write greets and messages. Of course, I couldn’t leave this opportunity unused.

While Yuki went to talk to Toshi and Nimo, I merely greeted them before I managed to get my hands on the book, and began to write a simple message in Japanese. I wrote that the live had been awesome, but that the lives in Europe were very ‘hot’ too! However, I hesitated which kanji to use for ‘hot’ again. Finally I made my choice before I went to check in with Toshi, who seemed to be free at that moment. I asked him if I had written the right Kanji, but he smiled sheepishly at me before saying it wasn’t the right one (laughs). He then wrote the correct one next to mine, and I sloppily corrected my mistake before adding to the message something along the lines of “Whatever happens, please come to Europe!”. (Months later I discovered Nimo had actually used my wrong Kanji in his blog to say the live had been ‘hot’… Good joke. (laughs))

Soon the live of Anli Pollicino commenced which I went to watch, and after that I hung around the venue like the last time, talking to Yuki. We waited till the members of A would come out again, and after a while Toshi walked into the hall to talk to some fans. I suggested we should go talk to him, but Yuki told me she was a big fan of him and now felt too shy. Still, I persuaded her to come, and she ended up standing behind me with her arms around my waist the whole time. Toshi seemed rather amused by this as we struck up a conversation. He jokingly asked us if we were friends, looking at the way Yuki was clinging to me. He had to laugh when we both responded: “Yep, since today!” I started to like Toshi more and more as he appeared very gentle and kind in his speech, showing a lot of interest in the ones he was talking with.

We continued chit-chatting about the live and Europe before I noticed Nimo had also appeared from the ‘backstage-area’, which was merely divided by curtains. He stood in the back of the hall for a while before he suddenly came walking up to Toshi´s side and mingled into our conversation, giving Yuki and me a casual greet. I greeted him back and jokingly asked if he still remembered me. Nimo responded with a rather serious; “Of course we remember you! Yeah, Holland! Tulips, windmills, all that stuff right? Uhuh.”

I made eyes at him before I had to laugh, when Nimo’s eyes suddenly doubled in size, pointing at me before he started to babble, wrecking his previous ‘cool’ act.

“Hey! You – … those cookies!”

I blinked at him before I realized he had to be talking about the stroopwafels I had given him after the first live. Nimo’s lips flapped once more before he finally burst out: “… They were friggin’ delicious! Right Toshi?!” and gave Toshi a firm pat on the arm.

Toshi seemed to have been spacing out meanwhile, for he practically jumped when Nimo poked him before sputtering confused, looking from Nimo to me and back: “Hm…? Cookies…? What…?” 

“You know, those cookies from Holland!” Nimo repeated impatiently, pointing at me again. “They were really yummy right?!” 

“Cookies from Holland…” Toshi echoed, still at a loss, before finally the light bulb seemed to pop up when he looked at me again, his face suddenly beaming with a smile: “…OH! YES!! They were awesome!”

I remember that moment as it gave me another amusing view of the persons behind the stage-persona, the friendships that make up the sturdy base of A. I laughed with them, and this time we parted with a whole new feeling by simply saying: “See you soon!” I knew I would see them and Yuki again in the following week, and everything seemed to become more familiar with each passing moment. But as I left the venue, I thought of how much I regretted not having brought another packet of cookies for them, just to see them freak out once more (laughs).


Continue to Part 3

0 reacties:

Post a Comment